Registration for SUUSI 2019 is currently open!
SUUSI will be held from July 14-20, 2019 at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC. The theme for 2019 is “Sacred Spaces.” If you’d like to receive periodic updates about SUUSI 2019, please use the sign-up form at the bottom of our home page.
The SUUSI catalog is available for download here. If you’d prefer to order a printed copy, it’s available on Amazon here (with a fee to cover printing costs). Registration typically opens around April 1st.
Fast Facts for Returning Participants
- Expect the catalog to come out around March 1st.
- If you don’t already have a SOLIS account, create one now. SOLIS is where you will manage all of your SUUSI information. Go to SOLIS now to create an account or register for SUUSI.
- Online registration for SUUSI 2019 will open April 6 and close June 23. The early registration discount ends on May 23.
Detailed Info for Newcomers
So you’ve decided to come to SUUSI! We’re so happy to hear it.
The SUUSI catalog is released around March 1st each year. Online registration begins April 1st and continues until late June.
If those dates haven’t arrived yet, you might still find it helpful to look over the instructions below & review last year’s catalog. Or just poke around on the website and get a better idea of what SUUSI is like. Come back in the spring and we’ll get you signed up!
Planning Your SUUSI
Your first step in planning is to read the catalog. Here’s the 2019 edition! The first part of the catalog provides general information about SUUSI’s programs and activities. SUUSI 2019 workshops and nature trips are listed beginning on page 39.
We don’t recommend picking an activity for every morning and afternoon session all week long – that works out to be way too exhausting for most people. Make sure you leave some down time in your schedule.
Our Newcomer Coordinator, Dianna MacPherson, would be delighted to talk with you about SUUSI and answer any questions you might have. Reach out to her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have children under 10, their mornings will be spent in age-based youth programming. Children 0-5 return to their same class in the afternoon, while 6-10 year-olds should pick afternoon workshops beginning on page 21 in the catalog. Of course you’re welcome to keep your children with you during any time segment! You might like to sign up for a family-friendly Nature trip or Sports & Games activity together. Young people in the Middler and Teen programs have activities in their own age track and do not need to sign up for workshops, although they may.
Special Programs to Get Connected
SUUSI is a large community, and sometimes newcomers feel a bit daunted by its size. We’d like to highlight some of the workshops which are specifically designed to help you meet folks or to understand how SUUSI works. Find out more about these in the catalog:
- #190, 290, 291: Newcomer Tours
- #296: Community Meal for Newcomers
- #207, 295, 301, 302: Speed Socializing (sign up for any one of the sessions)
- #158: 36 Questions
Newcomers often mention that nature trips, service projects, and multi-day workshops are also great ways to get to know people at SUUSI.
SUUSI uses an online registration system called SOLIS. Access SOLIS here and create an account. Follow the prompts to register for SUUSI 2019. If you are planning to attend SUUSI with other people in your family, start one registration and then add people to your “family group” in SOLIS.
Questions about the registration process? Contact our Registrar, Connie Moore, at email@example.com.
We think SUUSI costs compare favorably with other week-long vacation options. Your SUUSI registration cost includes housing and food for the week, as well as many activities. If you can’t afford to attend SUUSI, however, you do have options:
- Apply to be on staff. SUUSI is an all-volunteer organization. Instead of being paid, our staff members work in exchange for a reduction in their registration and housing fees. You can work part-time or full-time at SUUSI.
- Apply for a SUUSIship. SUUSI offers scholarships to individuals and families who would otherwise not be able to afford to attend. You may apply for a SUUSIship through SOLIS when you register. If you know you will need a SUUSIship, it’s best to apply early, as funds are limited.