Packing for SUUSI is obviously a very individual decision; here are some recommended items based on shared experiences of what makes for a good SUUSI experience.
- Linens, Towels, and Pillows – a mattress pad is strongly suggested- mattresses are EXTRA firm – sheets need to be Twin XL
- Bath mat or towel for use as a bathmat
- Over the door hooks (may not fit all doors) and/or coat hangers
- Folding camp chairs and/or picnic blanket
- Medicines, band-aids, first aid supplies
- Extra glasses or contact lenses
- Doorstop – if desired
- Nightlight/flashlight – if desired
- Earplugs – We are staying in dorms, and your neighbors might be loud
- Extension cord
- Roll of blue painters’ tape for posting anything on doors or walls
- Laundry detergent and hand soap, as well as shower soap. WCU offers FREE washing machines, though they may be pretty busy as of Wednesday/Thursday!
- Reusable water bottle and reusable travel mug/cup
- Poncho, raincoat, or umbrella. Locals joke that WCU stands for “We Carry Umbrellas” – expect a daily rain shower.
- Summer casual clothes, plus (optional) dressy or costume stuff if you want to do the dance themes
- Since we will be in the mountains, bring long pants / jeans and a light jacket, too
- Sunscreen & insect repellent
- Good walking shoes
- Musical instruments – you never know who you might find to play with
- Required gear for any nature trips – double-check the requirements in the catalog if you’re signed up for trips.
Nature Staff have strong opinions about shoes! Find out more here: https://www.suusi.org/shoes-for-nature-trips/
Forget something? There is a Walmart about 10 minutes away, as well as some smaller stores on campus.